The Associate of Internal Control CIB USA role will be responsible for the Internal Control and Operational Risk functions for the Corporate Banking Line of Business within BBVA S.A. NY. The Associate will be responsible for the technical implementation of the Operational Risk Methodology and will report and provide information to Central Internal Control, the Finance Team (SOX purposes) and CIB Management as necessary. This position will be responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and execution of the risk assessment process for the Corporate Banking businesses (and their onboarding processes)- ex Global Markets-; including: Global Transaction Banking, Global Client Coverage, Trade Finance and Structured and Syndicated Lending
Major/Essential Job Duties:
- Monitor control performance of Corporate Banking activities for BBVA S.A., and BBVA Compass to ensure compliance with applicable US regulations.
- Develop, implement and execute Key Risk Indicators;
- Facilitate the development of preventive and mitigating measures to address operations, financial, regulatory and reputational risks;
- Perform follow ups and ensure closure of Internal Audit recommendations and Regulatory Exams to improve the Operational Risk Model;
- Maintain, update, test and conclude on SOX and Non-SOX risks and controls;
- Prepare research material, including the quantitative and large qualitative analysis from different systems of Corporate Banking products and transactions;
- Participate in Corporate Banking projects to assess the control environment and define Key Risk Indicators;
- Prepare internal reports to management and update Operational Risk reporting systems (i.e. STORM, RMTS).
Level of Complexity and Risk Involved:
Medium level of complexity. The Corporate Investment Banking business is complex and the regulatory requirements are complex, as well, and demand to keep strict monitoring on a daily basis.
The internal control functions in Corporate Banking BBVA Compass and BBVA S.A. must adhere to the CIB Model and must also comply with the corporate standards. The activities, proposals and reporting must efficiently mitigate the operational risks involved in Corporate Banking Business and on-boarding . Internal Control’s main responsibility is to support management in the mitigation of the operational risks.
Scope of Duties:
- Understanding of Corporate Banking business (syndicated loans, trade finance, project finance, etc.) and its interaction with other business and support units.
- Interaction with Bankers, Risk, Operations teams, Internal Auditors, Compliance Officer, Technology, and Operational Risk Managers.
- Maintenance of internal reports and their distribution to the appropriate areas (Management, Committees, Compliance, Central Internal Control and Operational Risk team).
- Testing and monitoring of Corporate Banking processes, through the use of different tools.
- Close coordination with his/her responsible in Houston and with Madrid teams (Internal Control) for day to day activities.
- Interaction with different departments, such as Sales and Operations teams, Internal Audit, Compliance, Central Internal Control and Operational Risk team, Risk, as well as other internal units that give support to CB products and transactions.